The Dirty Gardener Windham Winter Pea Cover Crop Seeds, 50 Pounds
Windham winter pea has been recently developed for exceptionally good winter hardiness, and is known for being highly palatable to livestock as winter forage. Its advantages are availability, fast germination and good biomass addition to soil. Winter pea can be planted in fall as a cover crop, or in spring for forage, and contributes heavily to biomass when terminated. The winter pea provides good weed suppression and is cost effective. We do not recommend broadcasting winter pea. Drill or incorporate in your winter pea at 40lbs/acre. If blending, take your rate down by a multiple of how many seed in the blend (40lbs / 4 seeds in blend. 10lbs/acre). plant in fall at least 60 days best first frost. Winter pea will go dormant over winter a bolt in the spring with warmer temperatures. This is the period of nitrogen production so let growth occur. Terminate by rolling, mowing or chopping before flowering. Great forage crop.
- These sweet little purple and white flowers are as cute as they are functional
- Helps boost soil nitrogen levels
- Can also be used as ground cover, cover crop and for erosion control
- Easy to grow and requires little maintenance
- Non-GMO seeds have great germination rates